The name Panipat is the reminiscent of the great battles that were fought here between might forces over many centuries. According to the legend, Panipat was one of the five villages (Prasthas) founded by the Pandvas during the time of "Mahabharata"; it´s historic name being "Panduprastha". The first verse of the Bhagwat Geeta is possibly refrencing to Panipat as "Dharamkshetra". The three historic battles of Panipat were fought here, which were the turning points in Indian history.
Panipat is situated on the bank of river Yamuna. This District is bordered by District Karnal, Sonepat, Jind, Kaithal and the State of Uttar Pradesh. Panipat is situated on Grand Trunk road built by Sher Shah Suri and is just 96 Kms. North of National Capital, Delhi. The newly constructed flyover across the Grand Trunk road is one of the longest flyover in India.
The total area of Panipat District is 1268 Sq. Kms and it´s population is 12,02,811 as per census of 2011.Smaller towns Samalkha, Israna and Naultha are in Panipat District.
Panipat is a city of textles and carpets. That´s why it is also known as "City of Weavers" or "City of Handloom". It is the biggest centre of "Shoddy Yarn" in the world.
The "Achar Pachranga" is a well known Indian pickle produced in Panipat since 1925. Panipat also has heavy Industries with a refinery of Indian Oil Corporation, a National Thermal Power Corporation plant and a National Fertilizers plant. The Samalkha sub division is also famous for foundry of agricultural instruments.
The main places of attraction in Panipat are Panipat museum , Tomb of Ibrahim Lodhi, Kabuli Bagh, Devi Mandir, Kala Amb, Salar Gunj Gate and Tomb of Sufi Saint Bu Ali Shah Qalander.
Panipat remained a part of Karnal District till 31st October, 1989 and thereafter it was upgraded as a separate Distirict.
INFORMATION AS TO WHEN THE COURTS WERE SET UP
In the beginning of 20th Century, the civil judicial work was placed under the supervision of District & Sessions Judge posted at Karnal. He was assisted by Senior Sub Judge, Karnal and three Sub Judges, one each for Karnal, Panipat and Kaithal.
The Courts at Panipat were previously situated at the “Kabri Wali Kothi”. The Court of Additional District & Sessions Judge was set up at Panipat district on 02.05.1990 and Shri Suresh Chand Jain was the first Additional District & Sessions Judge, of Panipat.
New judical complex was inaugurated by Hon’ble Mr. Justice Mukul Mudgal, the then Chief Justice of Punjab & Haryana High court on 29th August, 2010. The Haryana Govt. declared Panipat as a separate Sessions Division vide notification no. S.O. 119/C.A. 2/1974/S.7/2010 dated 16.12.2010. Sh. Kailash Chand Sharma, who earlier also served as Chief Judicial Magistrate and Additional District & sessions Judge-I, Panipat took over the charge as the first District & Sessions Judge, Panipat w.e.f. 08.04.2011.